Accounting Technician II-Trust Fund Accountant
Company: North Texas State Hospital - Wichita Falls Campus
Location: Wichita Falls
Posted on: May 27, 2023
Accounting Technician II-Trust Fund Accountant
Come work in an environment where we truly value and respect those we serve and believe in the mission that all people can achieve a higher level of wellness and independence.
The state supported living centers serve people with intellectual and developmental disabilities who are medically fragile or who have behavioral problems. The centers provide campus-based direct services and supports at 13 centers located throughout the state.
The state of Texas offers many to employees. HHSC is a qualifying organization for the , which forgives the remaining balance on college student Direct Loans after making 120 qualifying monthly payments. We also offer , a lifetime monthly as well as under the Employees Retirement System of Texas.
If you are looking for a place to work where you can establish a career that is filled with purpose, this is the job for you!
The Accounting Technician II reports directly to the Financial Officer at the facility (state hospital or state-supported living center) and provides administrative and financial support services. The Accounting Technician II routinely performs highly complex (senior-level) technical accounting support work for the financial office in areas of bookkeeping and financial activities (such as, handling all processing in the trust fund system, pro-card coordination, deposits, travel coordination, paymaster tasks (non-regional office), review and audit cash, voucher prep/scanning (regional office only), deposit and reconciliation reports for Accountant IV at RBMO, and backup cashier as needed).
The Accounting Technician II has a working knowledge of the HHSC rules and facility policies and procedures, demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing and provides training as needed to other employees. Completion of job duties requires working under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgement and provides excellent customer service to all consumers.
Essential Job Functions:
- Attends work on a regular and predictable schedule in accordance with agency leave policy and performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for processing deposits (call in and entry to CAPPS financials) from the daily receipts and bank deposits for all cash and checks received by the facility.
- Codes, posts, and balances financial accounting documents and records in the Client Trust Fund system. Review and determine available funds in the CTF system and adjust cash accordingly. Review trust fund (client and benefit funds) for appropriateness of items to be purchased and the availability of funds in the individuals trust fund accounts. Posting of receipts and disbursements into the CTF system. Prepare deceased clients documentation for correspondence with guardians, family, and legal reps for final disbursement of funds. Maintenance of client records to reflect client moves, discharges, and transfers. Disbursement of discharged client account balances.
- Serves as the Procurement Card Coordinator who is the liaison between the agency PCS Procurement Card Administrator, Accountant V RBMO, hospital cardholders, and managers. Reconciles account statements from the procurement card statement to purchases made within the billing cycle per the departmental procurement logs. Provides procard usage reports as requested by the agency Procurement Card Administrator. Assigns budget coding to purchases and provides entry to RBMO to enter into CAPPs Financials.
- Provides various accounting audits as required by policy and procedure. Audits include daily audit of cashiers receipts to daily bank deposit to verify amounts and correct bank account detail, monthly count and balance of petty cash and petty cash from the canteen (if available on campus), quarterly audits of unused checks for trust fund, benefit fund and revolving fund, unclaimed employee payroll warrants and unused cashier receipts. Researches and reconciles discrepancies in accounts, bank statements and CTF system.
- Travel coordinator for the facility, which includes all tasks associated with employee travel. This includes airline reservations, hotel reservations, rent a car arrangements, travel card processing, and reconciling travel forms. Scan and send travel details to State office accounting for processing in CAPPs financials.
- Assists RBMO Accountant I on employee payroll processes and questions for the facility employees and contractors.
- Preps payment, cash, journals, and related vouchers for submission to State office accounting. These documents will be either scanned or mailed to SOA (Regional office task only). Prep and scan all deposit, bank information and reports to submit to RBMO Accountant IV for reconciliation (both regional and non-regional tasks).
- Assists with getting invoices approved prior to entry and payment. Tracks invoices to ensure payments have been processed against them. Invoices are tracked in an Access database.
- Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to administration, cashiers, and fiscal services. Provides training on tasks to new employees in the same role. Participate and/or serve in a supporting role to meet the agencys obligation for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures affecting the maintenance of accounting records and automated accounting systems.
Ability to apply accounting theory to transactions and internal control procedures.
Knowledge of accounts payable and reconciliation.
Skill in using a personal computer.
Skill in using Microsoft applications to include proficiency in Excel, Word, and Outlook.
Knowledge of CAPPs Financials/HHSAS Peoplesoft preferred.
Ability to prepare and maintain records, files, and reports; and to train other employees.
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
Valid Texas drivers license or ability to obtain it no later than 90 days after hire date, is preferred OR required. Applicants with an out-of-state drivers license must provide an original certified driving record from the state of driving licensure. Eligible driving record required based on HHSC Fleet Management policy.
Initial Selection Criteria:
1. Experience in accounting and financial operations.
2. Experience with a computerized accounting or bookkeeping system.
3. Two years experience in accounts payable or reconciliation is preferred.
4. Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to financial operations of a public entity is preferred.
5. Experience with accounting and bookkeeping principles.
6. Graduation from a standard senior high school, supplemented by college coursework in accounting, is generally preferred. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
Applicants must pass a fingerprint criminal background check, pre-employment drug screen, and registry checks including the Client Abuse/Neglect Reporting System (CANRS), Nurse Aide, Medication Aide and Employee Misconduct and HHS OIG List of Excluded Individuals/Entities. Males between the ages of 18 25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
All State Supported Living Center employees are subject to Random drug testing.
Flexibility in work hours may be required for this position. The position may be required to work overtime and/or extended hours. Must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
All applicants must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for employment at a state-operated facility.
All new hire candidates will be required to receive COVID-19 medical screening (nasal test) as part of the due diligence process.
Personal protective equipment required and provided
Social distancing guidelines in place
Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
Vaccines available for employees
Requisition ID: 565504
There are no Military occupations that relate to the initial selection criteria and registration or licensure requirements for this position.
All active duty military, reservists, guardsmen, and veterans are encouraged to apply if qualified to fill this position. For more information see the Texas State Auditors Military Crosswalk at https://hr.sao.texas.gov/CompensationSystem/JobDescriptions
HHS agencies use E-Verify. You must bring your I-9 documentation with you on your first day of work.
- Click here to download the I-9 form.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.
Accounting Technician II-Trust Fund Accountant
Keywords: North Texas State Hospital - Wichita Falls Campus, Wichita Falls , Accounting Technician II-Trust Fund Accountant, Accounting, Auditing , Wichita Falls, Texas
here to apply!