Foundry Service Operator/Mold Handler
Company: Howmet Aerospace
Location: Wichita Falls
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Howmet Aerospace's Wichita Falls, TX facility has an opening for
experienced Foundry Service Operator/Mold Handlers.
Howmet is a world leader in the investment casting industry and
is a leading supplier of superalloys, aluminum, and titanium
components for aerospace, automotive, and commercial transportation
applications. Our Wichita Falls location is on the front edge of
the rapid growth in the aerospace and turbine industries. For more
information, visit www.howmet.com. Follow @howmet: Twitter,
Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube.
Works under general supervision and the direction of a caster to
remove molds from the preheat furnace, properly position in timely
manner for casting, perform wrap application, dewax, repair and
mold inspect, and perform all post-cast operations specified.
- Using Computers (entering information, etc.)
- Must be able to read and interpret Product Criteria (PC) and
Activity Instructions (AI).
- Must be able to function as a member of a team and be able to
work under general supervision.
- Must be able to maintain expected quality levels.
- Comply with all site required policies and procedures including
but not limited to: EHS, Quality, Code of Conduct and the Wichita
Falls Employee Handbook.
- Read all available instructions and assist caster to cast molds
in accordance with established techniques and specific instructions
on the Product Criteria, Mold Sheets, or Activity
- Requires concentration for short periods of time when assisting
in the acquisition of the proper alloy, checks preheat
temperatures, handles the molds from the preheat furnace and again
after casting, and accomplishes all specific post-cast operations
(Mold hot topping, exothermic application and vermiculite
- Particularly responsible for proper mold positioning, lower
chamber cleaning, and the control of variables affecting
solidification and mold cooling.
- Moves empty, hot furnace trays, changes and cleans floor
gaskets, performs heavy housekeeping required in department, and
assists in minor equipment maintenance.
- Notifies caster of any torn wraps, bumped or leaking
- Periodically required to load ovens.
- Keep updated on new methods on improvements.
- Must follow all safety practices and procedures.
- Rotates through each job duty as required.
- Locates scheduled work, moves trucks to proper work
- Ensures molds are kept clean in each area.
- Seals molds at dewax or mold inspection with either ceramic
disk or rubber cap.
- Monitors operation of equipment and temperature controls.
- Must follow work instructions, SOP's, and activity instructions
that govern each job task.
- Inspects and repairs molds.
- Prepares solutions and maintains supplies.
- Cuts required kaowool and roll board.
- Wraps molds per process releases/product criteria.
- Must be able to operate the required piece of mobile equipment
for this area.
- Machines and work area are to be kept clean and in orderly
condition. Supervisor is to be notified immediately of equipment or
- Completes necessary paperwork as required.
- Verifies mold counts and paperwork correctness on lot
travelers, or serial numbers at each operation.
- Loads molds in preheat oven.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Complies with all EHS rules related to the work
- Works overtime when needed
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AND SAFETY RESPONSIBILITES
Comply with all department, facility, corporate and regulatory
Wear all required personal protective equipment (PPE). Requires
Metatarsal Pull up Boots, Hearing protection, Hard Hats, Flame
retardant clothing, Safety Glasses, gloves and Aluminized
Report all job-related illness and injuries (Per Employee
Report all safety, health and environmental concerns to your
supervisor in a timely manner.
- Attend all EHS training.
Physical Demands/Equipment Used
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilites to perform essential
Employee is required to execute the following:
Considerable physical effort is required when loading alloy.
Reach for items nearby, far and overhead.
Fine manipulation, using a keyboard and mouse.
Lifting and carrying to the waist-to-chest high level, floor to
waist and chest to overhead.
Gripping Pinching and Handling.
Climb Stairs and Ladders.
Crawl, squat, balance, and sustain bending.
Finger Press and tolerate hand/arm vibration.
Be able to carry with one hand.
Pushing, pulling and twisting.
Be able to carry items with two hands.
Moderate lifting from 25 lbs to 50 lbs.
Requires almost constant standing and sufficient strength to
lift, handle and transport heavy, hot molds, and hot molds
containing molten alloy
- Must pass Jaeger 2 vision test annually for depth perception
when pouring alloy and setting mold position.
Work Environment: (Chemical and Physical Exposures)
- Extreme care must be taken because of exposure to extremely
high temperatures for short periods of time.
- Exposure to dust and fumes from the casting process.
- Occasional exposure to uncontained molten metal sprays and
solid metal chips from chamber cleaning.
- Exposure to Nickel and RCF.
- Requires wearing dust mask/respirator during certain
- High School Diploma or GED from an accredited institution.
- 1 year Foundry Service Operator/Mold Handler experience
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United
States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at
the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms
Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines
U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e.
'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
Keywords: Howmet Aerospace, Wichita Falls , Foundry Service Operator/Mold Handler, Other , Wichita Falls, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!